Tuesday, February 8, 2011

So Lucky

I'm grinding away. I've lost 5 lbs. I have friends here at the food Bank who have dropped 20... but they are going to extreme measures. That's okay, I figure theyare younger than I and their bodies less prone to implode if they don't take in the proper nutrition.

I can't imagine being forced on an extreme diet. Apparently many American's are. According to the article linked below, 43.6 million Americans are receiving food stamps. Over 1 million of them live in Arizona. I took my laps around the warehouse today and looked at our shelves and racks of food. I began to appreciate the fact that our programs are designed to help these families by supplementing their food supply with nutritionally balanced food boxes. No one should be forced to go on an extreme measure diet, yet so many in our society are. For the number of people who receive food stamps you better believe that their are an equal number who need them but just miss qualifying or are just to proud. They have lived for so many years maintaining in a healthy economic diet. Now it's all changed.

So I will be thankful for the guidance I get nutritionally and for the ability to be able to purchase the food I need and also enjoy.

I can tell stories about living on Top Ramen in NYC....  next time.
Her's a link to a sobering article:
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/02/02/some-43-million-americans-use-food-stamps/

Coffee....now

No comments:

Post a Comment